Quick Exit
Sheffield Children Safeguarding Partnership logoConcerned about a child button

Sheffield Children Safeguarding Partnership

Keeping Safe on a Night Out

Guidance for Children and Young People

Sheffield is a friendly, exciting destination city with lots of places for young people to enjoy themselves ~ whether you are interested in fashion, shopping, music, eating out, cinema, or theatre there’s something for everyone! It’s a great place to be whether you’re working, performing, or socialising. To make sure you have the best time and keep yourself safe while out and about, here are some safety tips.


  • Make sure you have enough money to get home or to the place you are staying. Put your bus or taxi fare in a safe place so you know it’s there when you need it. If you’re out late, check where the nearest taxi rank is or keep a note of a reliable taxi service to contact in case of emergency. If you’re travelling by taxi check out the Safety in Taxis page on our website.
  • If you are catching the bus, make sure you know the bus times and where the bus stop is ~ give yourself plenty of time to get there.
  • Try to travel with friends and let someone know the time you expect to be back.


Some places (for example pubs, music venues, off licences) allow children and young people under the age of 18, at certain times. If you visit a place where alcohol is on sale, the staff are trained to ask young customers for ‘proof of age’. Don’t be offended if they ask for your ID, they are doing it to keep you safe and make sure you, or they don’t break the law by selling you alcohol. If you wish to obtain a recognised type of ID card, look for one with the ‘PASS’ logo on (for example the Citizencard). You can download an application from for a Citizencard from www.noidnosale.com.

If you’re going to a 14+ event (maybe a gig or a club) you could be asked to take an alcohol breath test or a security search – this is to make sure that people entering the premises are not taking drugs or weapons in there and that they haven’t been drinking so that people in the venue can enjoy themselves and be safe.

Remember, it’s illegal for people under 18 to buy alcohol or drink it in licensed premises. If you’re 16 or over and having a meal with an adult there are some drinks you can have providing the adult you are with buys them for you with the meal.

If you are not comfortable about the way someone is behaving in a venue, speak to a member of staff. Most places in Sheffield train their staff to look out for their customers to make sure everything is ok and people are having a good time and they will know how to help if you need it

For more information:

In case of emergency

  • Always let a responsible adult know where you are going, who you are with and leave a phone number with them.
  • Make sure your mobile phone has the contact details of your parent or carer, so that they can be easily contacted in case of emergency. If you add ICE (in case of emergency) next to their name in your phone book, the emergency services know to contact them if necessary.
  • If you are lost or need help in Sheffield ask a Street Pastor or a City Centre Ambassador – the ambassadors patrol the city centre and help to make sure the city is safe for everyone. They’re there to help and easy to spot as they wear high-visibility fluorescent jackets marked ‘City Centre Ambassador’.
  • If you think you are in danger, contact the police on 999 and ask for help.

Market research

Taking part in market research can be fun, but if your parent or carer has not signed a consent form for you to take part in the research, it’s important to make sure the person asking you to participate is registered with an approved organisation.

Ask them to show you their ID card and look for the ‘MRS’ (Market Research Society) logo. Check that the photograph matches the person holding the ID card.

It’s also safer to do things with friends, so avoid participating on your own – go with a friend, and let your parent or carer know what you are doing – give them a quick ring to tell them what you’re doing and to check it’s okay.

For more information about keeping children and young people safe contact us.


Have your say...

Comments are closed for this article

If you are concerned about another child or young person, follow this link: Referring a safeguarding concern to Children’s Social Care

Helpful organisations:

  • Childline for advice and support to children and young people. Phone 0800 1111 or visit the Childline website.

  • Kidscape is a Children’s charity that gives practical advice to young people about bullying and keeping safe. Visit the Kidscape website
  • The Samaritans confidential helpline for young people experiencing feelings of distress or despair – tel: 08457 90 90 90. Visit The Samaritans website

  • Youth Access – Tel: 020 8772 9900. This organisation will put you in touch with local services that offer information, advice and counselling

  • The Hideout - for young people affected by domestic abuse. Visit The Hideout website.